Chocolate and peanut butter were made for each other. At the very least, my baby…
Chocolate Pudding (with peanut butter) [+video]
Fudge-y chocolate pudding with no dyes or additives, less sugar and added wholesome ingredients: eggs, cocoa, peanut butter and milk.
Years ago, (before I originally posted this recipe) while we were enjoying the luscious, smooth chocolate pudding I told my husband that I should probably post the recipe since I hardly had any sweet recipes. He laughed in response. While he was laughing I was formulating my response…
- Hey! Dietitians enjoy dessert, too!
- This dessert has redeeming qualities: cocoa! eggs! peanut butter! milk!
But instead of turning on the defences, I just asked what he thought was so funny.
“I’d hardly call this a recipe…”
At this point I couldn’t hold back. I was about to burst out in defence of my cooking, but he continued,
“Step 1: add peanut butter to chocolate pudding”
Then I started to laugh because I realized what he was thinking… oh my dear, sweet, clueless-in-the-kitchen husband thought I had simply added peanut butter to a box of instant chocolate pudding 🙂
Why This Chocolate Pudding is a Smart Choice
If you’re trying to eat healthier, this pudding gives you flavour and health all in one! This recipe is much more than your average box of instant chocolate pudding. It has wholesome qualities like eggs, cocoa, and peanut butter that you won’t find in a box of pudding! You also won’t find food dyes, which are in a box of instant pudding. Additionally, while it’s nice and sweet, it’s not dripping with sugar like most chocolate pudding recipes.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
Chocolate Pudding with Peanut Butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ to ⅔ cup peanut butter
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt.
- Add a little bit of the milk (about ¼ cup) and whisk until a paste forms.
- Slowly add more milk, whisking well in between additions.
- Once all the milk has been added, heat over medium heat.
- In the same measuring cup you used to measure the milk, crack open the two eggs. Set aside.
- As it heats, whisk, whisk whisk the milk mixture.. Don’t stop whisking!
- Once the mixture has boiled and thickened, pour about a ¼ cup into the eggs. (just eyeball it) Whisk well. Continue adding a small amount of the thickened mixture to the eggs, whisking well in between each addition. Once you’ve added about half the mixture into the eggs, then transfer all the egg mixture back into the pot.
- Whisk, whisk, whisk and cook one minute.
- Remove from heat and add in the vanilla, butter, and ½ cup of peanut butter. Take a taste. Does it taste peanut buttery enough for you? If yes, then you’re done. If not, add a bit more peanut butter until it meets your peanut butter satisfaction.
- This pudding tastes delicious either hot or cold!
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]
Leave a Reply