With this rich, fudgey recipe your search for the perfect vegan chocolate sauce is over! Perfect for chocolate “milk” and frozen desserts.
I received a reader request to post a recipe for a vegan chocolate syrup for making chocolate “milk.” I was only too happy to oblige and experiment with CHOCOLATE! When I came up with a winning recipe I (obviously) had to experiment with the different ways you could use it.
I tried it…
- in a dairy milk substitute to make chocolate “milk”
- over ice cream (I had dairy ice cream but I’m sure it would be equally delicious on a dairy-free version!)
- on crepes
It was delicious every single time!
This is a rich, fudgy recipe. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee. Vegans and non-vegans alike will LOVE how simple and quick this is to make!
The best part? You won’t find any artificial flavours, added thickeners, or dyes in this recipe.
As a sidenote, I found this on the Nesquick website, and just had to laugh:
“When mixed with 8 fluid ounces of low-fat milk, Nesquik® Syrup provides 30% of the recommended daily intake of calcium and 8g of protein”
Yeah… that wonderful calcium and protein? ALL of it comes from the milk. NONE of it comes from the syrup.
Sneaky guys, real sneaky.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
DIY Vegan Chocolate Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 can coconut milk 14 oz
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or powder
- Stir together the sugar and cocoa in a medium-sized pot.
- Open the can of coconut milk and pour a small amount into the pot. Stir to make a paste with the cocoa and sugar, adding more coconut milk as necessary.
- Once you have a paste, add about half of the remaining coconut milk. Stir well. Then add the rest of the coconut milk and stir again.
- Heat over medium until boiling. Turn down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to a sealed container to store in the fridge.
- Can be used to make chocolate milk or pour on ice cream (use vegan alternatives as required).
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]