7 Chia Recipes to Inspire Everybody needs a chia recipe! After you read “the power…
Lentil & Bean Recipes: quick, easy, and simple!
If you’re accustomed to cooking with meat, trying a meatless meal featuring beans might feel overwhelming. So start with something that’s quick, easy, or simple! I’ve grouped these pulse-based recipe into those that are
- quick (30 minutes or less to prepare)
- easy (let the slow cooker do the work for you)
- simple (need 8 ingredients or less)
Why It’s A Smart Choice
Pulses are part of the legume family. Legumes are plants whose fruit is inside a pod. Think peanuts, soybeans, peas, beans, etc. Pulses are legumes that have been dried. These are chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, black beans, and any number of other beans!
- Pulses are high in fibre. Half a cup of cooked pulses will give you between 7 and 17g of fibre! Most people in North America are NOT meeting their daily fibre goals of a minimum of 25g for women and 38g for men.
- Pulses are high in folate. This B vitamin is needed to produce healthy white and red blood cells. It’s also a key nutrient for the developing human embryo so pregnant women should take care to eat foods high in folate (and take a prenatal supplement containing folic acid, the synthetic form of folate). Some studies have shown a reduced risk of developing colon cancer in people who consume a lot of food sources of folate (not so for supplements though!).
- Pulses are low on the glycemic index. This means that the carbohydrates found in pulses will not cause a sudden increase in blood sugars when consumed. Choosing foods that are low on the glycemic index is a strategy for managing blood sugars in people who have diabetes.
Super quick (30 minutes or less)
Three Bean Veggie Chili from the Planteaters’ Manifesto
Black Bean Burrito Bowls from Eating with a Purpose
Mediterranean Lentils and Quinoa from Smart Nutrition
Lentil, Cauliflower, and Sweet Potato Curry from Mess Makes Food
Indian Mango Dal from Eating Well
One Skillet Creamy Chipotle Mexican Rice with Black Beans from Smart Nutrition
Zucchini Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Crema from The Foodie Dietitian
Super easy (slow cooker)
Slow Cooker indian tacos from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
Eggplant and Lentil Stew from Nourish, Breathe, Thrive (transfer process to slow cooker after step two)
Heirloom Bean Cassoulet with Root Vegetables from The Plant Powered Dietitian (could easily be adapted for the slow cooker)
Pumpkin, Chickpea, and Red Lentil Curry from Kitchen Treaty
Slow Cooker Butter Chickpeas from Delish Knowledge
Super simple (8 ingredients or less)
Cheesy Lentils and Rice from Sinful Nutrition
The Easiest Bean Burgers from the Planteaters’ Manifesto
Three Bean Kale and Ancho Chili from Prep Dish
Lentil Garlic Cheese Toast from Smart Nutrition
Mujadarra from A Family Feast
Berbere Spiced Red Lentils from Tasty Trix
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]
Leave a Reply