Remember that time you had a baby and some loving soul brought you food? I…
A simple skillet meal, this gluten free Mediterranean Lentils and Quinoa dish is humble but deliciously satisfying!
When I told my husband what I planned on naming this dish his response was “I didn’t think quinoa was Mediterranean!”
He’s correct, quinoa originally hail from Bolivia. So, perhaps I should explain… I called this a Mediterranean dish because:
a) it has flavours reminiscent of Mediterranean cuisine like Italian or Greek
b) it falls in line with a Mediterranean Diet style of eating
What? You haven’t heard of the Mediterranean Diet? It’s only the healthiest way of living ever discovered!
Check out this Food Pyramid for the Mediterranean Diet
In short, the diet focuses mainly on vegetarianism but dabbles into meat on occasion. It’s exactly like my flexitarian way of eating. I recently looked into the Mediterranean Diet and felt a little smug when I realized that all my nutrition education and acquired knowledge has ended up leading me to piece together a diet that coincidentally resembles the healthiest cultural diet on the planet.
This dish is as amazing as that diet. If you’re thinking about exploring lentils as a means to decrease your reliance on meat, this is a great recipe to start with! It’s so flavourful.. you’ll never miss the meat!
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
Mediterranean Lentils with Quinoa
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- ¾ cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ package frozen spinach or 150 g, defrosted
- ½ cup sundried or oven roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1 155 ml can tomato paste (keep the can to measure out one can of water)
- shredded mozzarella for serving optional
- Combine the quinoa, lentils, and water in a pot. Heat over high heat until boiling then turn down to low to simmer. Don’t cover the pot or else it might boil over!
- Meanwhile, saute the oil and onion over medium low heat in a large skillet until soft.
- Then add the basil, oregano, salt, and fennel seeds. Cook one minute.
- Then add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and tomato paste. Fill the empty can of tomato paste with water and add to the skillet. Stir until combined.
- Once the quinoa and lentils are cooked, add to the skillet.
- Serve with shredded mozzarella (optional).