I eat a mostly vegetarian diet for my own health and the health of the…
Crispy, salty, sweet, and smoky… just like real bacon bits! And about one million times better than those “simulated bacon bits.”
I recently added lentils to a recipe, but my husband was disappointed when he took a bite because he had mistaken them for bacon bits. I love lentils and all, but bacon is in a class of its own. I could empathize with his disappointment. But then I thought “I bet I could make lentils taste like bacon.” So I dared myself to try. And I accepted the challenge.
Introducing… My Bacon Bit Replacement!
These little things are amazing! Crispy, salty, sweet, and smoky… just like real bacon bits! And about one million times better than those “simulated bacon bits.” Let’s take a look at the ingredients in those things:
My recipe has NO artificial flavour, NO artificial colour, and naturally contains vitamins and minerals!
Bacon, you’ve been replaced.
Simulated bacon bits, you were never in my pantry to begin with.
There are many ways to eat these:
- In a salad
- On baked or mashed potatoes
- Sprinkled on soup
- On pizza
- Mixed into cooked veggies like peas or corn
- In the creamy pasta recipe my husband wanted them in (subscribe to my newsletter to get updated when I release that recipe)
- By the handful!
Don’t know where to buy liquid smoke? Order some on Amazon today!
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
Vegan Bacon Bits
- 1 19 oz can of lentils (or 2 cups canned lentils), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and stir.
- Bake another 10 minutes and stir.
- Keep baking and stirring at 5 minute intervals until the lentils are nice and crispy.
Other Lentil Recipes:
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]