Bacon is kind of the rage these days, but I guess I'm a bacon hipster,…
A flavourful, spicy soup with basic ingredients you probably already have in your house! Except the green curry paste. You might need to check out the ethnic food aisle in your local grocery store for that one!
The up and down weather of spring has me wanting hot and cozy soup one day then a big, fresh salad the next.
Do your food choices follow the temperature on any given day?
This soup really warms you up. The spice from the curry paste is just enough to make you breathe a little fire. If you’re sensitive to spice I’d recommend cutting the curry in half. If you order a 10 on the spiciness scale when the server asks, then go ahead and add a bit more into the soup.
My favourite part of the soup is the water chestnuts. They add a bit of crunch to the meal! Through insanely strong cross linkages in the cell walls water chestnuts defy all other plants and adamantly stay crunchy. Much to my delight.
why this thai green curry lentil soup is a smart choice
Awesome news for lentil lovers! In this recently published study people who consumed a high amount of lentils had a 33% LOWER chance of developing type 2 diabetes then those who only at a small amount.
Guess what? The “high amount” is very achievable! It’s only 1 serving a week. Seriously; eat at least 1 bowl of this soup a week and your future self just very well may thank you. Or check out some of my other lentil recipes like high protein peanut butter granola. Or vegan lentil fakin’ bacon bits. Or Mediterranean quinoa and lentils. Or Moroccan beef and lentils. Or skinny taco meat….
I may or may not have a lentils obsession…..let’s call it a healthy lentils obsession 🙂
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!
Thai Green Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 tbsp vegetarian bouillon paste *see note
- 7 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 large carrot cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup whole brown lentils
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts cut in half
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can coconut milk
- Heat the oil over medium low in a soup pot.
- Chop the onion and add to the pot. Cook until soft and starting to turn brown.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, and curry paste. Saute 1 minute more.
- Add the bouillon paste, water, salt, brown sugar, carrot, and lentils.
- Cook until lentils are soft.
- Add in the water chestnuts, peas, corn, and coconut milk.
- Heat thoroughly then turn off stove.
Adapted from: Pinch of Yum