Most of the time, cooking and baking in the kitchen is my happy place. I find it relaxing and therapeutic. But sometimes a busy, tired day gets the best of me and I feel like I have no energy for cooking. That’s when I especially love one pan meals like this one….. that is, if I don’t have any freezer meals on hand! You can’t beat the convenience of a freezer meal.
This dish is full of creamy mushroom flavour. It has all the comfort of a bowl of cream of mushroom soup but in a high protein chicken recipe. Serve on a bed of brown rice or pasta with a side of green peas. Presto! Dinner in a jiffy.
Why It’s A Smart Choice
Mushrooms! These little fungi are packed with nutrition. They’re a great source of…
- selenium, a mineral that has been associated with lowering the risk of cancer
- riboflavin, a vitamin that may help migraine sufferers
- zinc, a mineral needed for a healthy immune system
- L-ergothionine, an antioxidant that protects DNA from damage
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
One Pan Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1.5 lbs mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp chili flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water and 1 tsp bouillon paste
- 1 can 340 ml or 11.5 oz evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- In a large skillet pan, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium high.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, add the chicken.
- Cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Flip over and cook another 5 or so minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the other tbsp of butter to the same skillet.
- Once butter is melted, add the mushrooms. Saute until softened and dark brown.
- Add in the garlic, basil, thyme, salt, and chili flakes. Saute another minute.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the chicken broth, evaporated milk, and cornstarch.
- Add the liquid to the skillet. Using a wooden spoon, stir intermittently. Allow to come to a boil and thicken.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Serve over cooked rice, quinoa, or pasta. (and don’t forget a side of veggies!)
Calories: 220 | Fat: 8.5g | Carbs: 10g | Fibre: 1g | Sugar: 6.5g | Protein: 27g
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]