So you think you know how much you like beans? I challenge you to try…
Spicy Pork with Mangos and Rice [+ video]
Stir-fry spicy pork with mangos and rice – easy, sweet, spicy, loaded with fruit and veggies, protein, and healthy carbs.
When our son was born we were blessed with many delicious dinners brought over by loving family and friends. One such dish, brought over by my mother-in-law, was the inspiration for this recipe. It’s been in the back of my mind ever since so this recipe has really been four years in the making!
I can’t decide what I love best about this dish:
- the tangy pork…
- the sweet mango….
- the hit of cilantro…
- or how the rice soaks up all that yummy salsa jam sauce? Each bite is amazing!
why this spicy pork with mango is a smart choice
Do you find yourself in a packed lunch rut? Unless you’re feeding 8+ people for dinner, you’re guaranteed to have leftovers of this mango pork dish! This meal works really well to pack and reheat for lunch. It’s a great combo of complex carbs, fruits, veggies, and protein to keep your energy up for your afternoon workday.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!
Spicy Pork with Mangos and Rice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ½ lbs pork loin sliced thinly (*see note)
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup peach or mango jam
- 2 large red peppers cored and cut into large chunks
- 2 mangoes or 4 peaches cut into large chunks
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Rice for serving
- In a large pot or wok (wok is preferable!), heat the oil over medium. Stir fry the pork until JUST done (don’t overcook or it will become tough).
- Remove the pork to a clean bowl.
- If there’s any liquid from the pork, dump it out.
- Saute the onions until soft and just starting to turn golden.
- While the onions are cooking, measure the spices and salt into a small bowl.
- Once the onions are ready add the spice mix to the wok/pot. Cook for one minute.
- Add the salsa and jam and heat thoroughly.
- Add the cooked pork, red peppers, and fruit. Remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked rice and top with fresh cilantro.
Calories: 257| Fat: 8.5g | Carbs: 25g | Fibre: 3g | Sugar: 20g | Protein: 20.5g
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]
Leave a Reply