These chocolate zucchini oats (aka zoats) are a great way to add veggies to your…
Much healthier than those giant double chocolate muffins found in the grocery store bakery! Eggless, high fibre, & great for school lunches!
One of the most controversial things I’ve posted on Facebook was about school policies for food allergies. It had recently been in the news that a school division in Montreal decided to lift a ban on peanuts and other anaphylactic food allergens. I applauded the decision, which was based on research that shows schools with peanut bans actually don’t have lowered rates of accidental exposure than schools who allow peanuts. Instead, I suggested schools should switch their focus to practices that really DO help protect children, such as proper handwashing.
So why am I bringing it up again? I must be a sucker for punishment (ie: hateful and rude comments).
I mean… not really, but I have to point out that these muffins are school friendly!
Unless your school is banning the other major allergens: milk, soy, fish, sulfites, etc….
Or taking this whole thing further and banning all the other foods that kids can be allergic to (which is all foods).
So, we’re agreed then? If we take this food banning thing to the logical conclusion, we should BAN ALL FOOD FROM SCHOOL!
Yes, yes, I’m being ridiculous.
There’s definitely room to improve how school environments can be made safer for ALL children, but you still need to work with the current situation, and a lot of schools or classrooms have peanut/nut/egg-free policies in place. So these muffins are a very smart choice.
why these eggless double chocolate muffins are a smart choice
This eggless chocolate muffin recipe relies mainly on bananas for sweetness. Along with the naturally occurring sugar in the bananas you’re also getting potassium, magnesium, folate, and my favourite: fibre! Some of the fibre found in bananas acts as a prebiotic. Prebiotics act like food for the good bacteria in our gut. It helps make the good bacteria counts higher and builds them up to be stronger against the “bad bacteria.”
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!
double chocolate muffins (egg-free)
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ⅔ cup water
- 6 bananas
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee optional
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease three muffin tins. Put aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash 6 bananas. Place them in a large bowl with the yogurt, canola oil, brown sugar, coffee (if using), vanilla, and flax/water mix (when it’s ready).
- Stir well.
- Add in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir JUST to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin tins (about ½ cup each).
- Bake for 22 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then loosen the edges with a plastic knife and transfer muffins to a cooling rack.
Other Muffin Recipes for you to enjoy!
- Blackberry Oatmeal Muffins (not eggless)
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]