I wasn't planning on making and photographing a recipe today since I was busy working…
This is a feel good recipe.
But actually… I aim for all my recipes to make you feel good.
This decadent chocolate pavlova with mascarpone cream and berries? It makes your tastebuds dance with delight. That feels pretty darn good.
This sheetpan pesto gnocchi? It only takes 5 minutes to prep, 20 minutes to bake, and tastes like a gourmet Italian dinner. That feels pretty darn good.
You see, there are different ways to feel good about your eating.
- Choosing nourishing foods and fueling your body
- Enjoying treats without guilt
And they can co-exist happily… even in the same recipe!
Exhibit A: this brownie batter hummus!
Why This Brownie Batter Hummus is a Smart Choice
It really does taste like a treat and yet it only has 1/4 tsp of added sugar in a serving! The rest of the sweetness comes naturally from the dates.
How to Enjoy This Brownie Batter Hummus
This dip is perfectly paired with fruit, especially berries! We love it with strawberries and blackberries.
For that irresistible sweet and salty combo, dunk some pretzels in! We love those flat pretzel chips because they work so well for dipping.
You could also use it as a crepe filling or to smother on pancakes.
Brownie Batter Hummus
- 1 cup water
- 20 dates
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans or drained/rinsed from a can
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place the water and the dates in a microwavable container (I use a glass measuring cup). Microwave for 1 minute on high to soften.
- Add the dates/water and the rest of the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Start on low speed until combined.
- Slowly turn up to high speed and blend/process until smooth.