This is the quintessential word of mouth recipe. Some dear friends brought this pizza to a…
Trying to increase your veggie intake?
There’s one simple tip I give people: eat dinner leftovers for breakfast.
Breakfast tends to be the lost meal for veggies in our society. Other than the odd omelette or an egg sandwich with a slice of tomato, we pretty much forget about veggies in the morning (never mind the fact that tomatoes technically belong to the fruit family…).
But we often have leftover dinner! Voila! Super simple breakfast!
Do I practice what I preach? Rarely. I find it difficult to change my habit of having something on the sweeter side in the mornings.
This recipe changes everything. The morning after I made these, my toddler asked if we could have muffins and pizza for breakfast. I thought it was a good idea so I agreed. Turns out he really only wanted muffins. I ended up only wanting the Quinoa Stuffed Pizza Peppers!
Why It’s A Smart Choice
With this recipe you get all the flavour of pizza, but a whole lot more veggies! Each pepper half provides 1.7 servings of vegetables.
This recipe is also a lot lower in sodium. Most pizza is quite salty but this recipe only has 326mg sodium per serving. That’s about 1/3 of what you’d find in one slice of Delissio Deluxe Rising Crust!
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
Quinoa Stuffed Pizza Peppers
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon I really like the Better Than Bouillon brand
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp chili flakes
- 1 can 156 ml or ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 100 g pepperoni cut into bite size pieces
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- 4 large mushrooms chopped
- 4 bell peppers any colour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Measure out the quinoa, bouillon, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili flakes into a medium sized pot.
- Add 2 ¼ cups of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer until the quinoa is cooked. Alternatively, this could be done in the Instant Pot. Cook on manual for 1 minute.
- Then add the tomato paste, parmesan cheese, pepperoni, red onion, and mushrooms.
- Pop the stems off the bell peppers and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Fill the peppers with the quinoa stuffing.
- Top with the mozza cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook for an addition 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and starts to turn brown.
- Feel free to switch up the pepperoni, mushrooms, and red onions with your favourite pizza toppings!
- To make it a vegetarian deluxe, switch out the pepperoni for black beans.
Check it out! This recipe is part of a batch cooking meal plan I created. In this plan, you’ll prep four meals in one session and have a fridge full of food to eat all week long!