This one pot healthy turkey quinoa chili is a meal-in-a-bowl! Top with cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips. Freezes well so make extra!
When I was in University I ate this meal all the time. Literally. I would make a big batch and then freeze it in individual portions. My freezer was always stocked. In other news, I’m conducting an experiment to see whether any one actually reads this paragraph before the recipe. I know when I’m browsing other blogs for recipe ideas, I just hop, skip, and jump down to the actual recipe. So if you’re reading this and you actually like these little introductions, tell me in the comments!
Some Notes about This Quinoa Chili Recipe
A few things you should know!
- You can use any ground meat you prefer! I regularly swap in ground beef or ground chicken. Admittedly I’ve never tried ground pork but my guess is that it would work as well.
- You can make this on the stovetop or in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. See the recipe notes for the adaptations for the appliance of your choice.
- This recipe freezes well. Why not make a double batch and freeze in meal size portions for a quick mid-week meal?
Why This Turkey Quinoa Chili is a Smart Choice
This recipe is a superstar choice for boosting your iron status. One serving of this recipe has 5 mg of iron! Women should aim for 18 mg a day (27 if you’re pregnant) and men should aim for 8 mg.
Not only is this recipe high in iron, I designed it for your body to maximize the iron absorption.
- Each serving has at least 50 mg of Vitamin C, which increases iron absorption
- The combination of legumes (black beans) and meat increases the iron absorption from the legumes
- Cooked in a cast iron pan, the total iron content could increase significantly!
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.
Turkey Quinoa Chili [one pot or slow cooker]
- 1 lb 454 g ground turkey (or other ground meat: chicken, beef, pork, bison)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1 can 796 ml or 28 oz tomatoes
- 1 can 156 ml or 5.5 oz tomato paste
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1.5 cup cooked or canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- In a large pot or skillet, saute the ground meat and onion until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the red pepper, spices, and salt. Cook one minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, quinoa, water, corn, and black bean. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then cover and turn down to low.
- Simmer until the quinoa is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips (optional).
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: First saute the meat and onions until the meat is cooked. Then transfer to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese and tortilla chips) then heat on low for several hours.
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS: First saute the meat, onions, and spices until the meat is cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese and tortilla chips) then choose manual and select 1 minute. Wait 10 minutes and release.